lunes, 6 de abril de 2009

FULBRIGHT SCHOLARS OF TED HUGHES .


Where was it , in the Strand ? A display
Of news items , in photografphs .
For some reason I notices it .
S pcitura of that year`s intake
Of Fulbright Scholars . just arriving -
Or arrivedad . Or some of them .
Were you among them ? I studied it ,
Not too minutely , wondering
Ehitch of them I might meet .
I remember that thought . Not
Your face , No doubt I scanned particularlu
The girls . Maybe I notice you .
Maybe I weighed you up , feeling unlikely .
Noted your long hair , loose waves -
Your Veronica Lake bang . Not what it hid .
It would appear blond . And your grin .
Your exaggerated American
Grin for the cameras , the judges , the strangers , the frighteners
Then I forgot . yes I remember
The picture : the Fulbright Scholars
With their luggage ? it seems unlikely .
Coudl they have comoe as a team ? I was walking
Sore - footed , under hot sun , hot pavementes .
Was it then bought a peach ? That's as I remember .
From a stall near Charing Cross Station .
It was the first fresh peach I had ever tasted
I could hardly believe how delicious
At twenty - five I was dumbfounded a fresh
By my ignorance of the simplest things .
SELECCIÒN DE TEXTO MARIETTA MORALES RODRÌGUEZ